SYMPOSIUM 2015 KEYNOTE SPEAKER:
Yannis Hamilakis, Professor of Archaeology at Southampton University, will give the keynote address at the Symposium on Friday, October 16, 2015. Professor Hamilakis' interdisciplinary and critical approach to archaeology, material culture, and the political uses of archaeological work as well as his dynamic engagement with today’s events promises an exciting and important talk. In addition, Professor Hamilakis will be available throughout the symposium for further conversation with attendees. The title of his keynote address and a brief abstract will be circulated in due course.
Notifications of acceptances and rejections for Symposium 2015 were sent out March 27, 2015. Notifications on special session submissions will be sent out by May 1, 2015. Please continue to consult this page regularly for further information and updates, and especially for the pre-registration link, which will be available soon.
The Symposium will be hosted by the MGSA’s Local Arrangements Committee consisting of members of GSU’s Center for Hellenic Studies, Office of International Initiatives, Center for Collaborative & International Arts.
This Committee collaborates with the MGSA’s Program Committee and Executive Board to present a 2½ day program of scholarly presentations and other exciting events. The public is most welcome to attend, but advance registration is advised.
Most of the conference presentations will be housed at the Loudermilk Conference Center, 40 Courtland Street, NE, Atlanta, GA 30303. See Place for details.
The keynote lecture will be held at the Speakers Auditorium. Additional events will be free and open to the public.
If you are a graduate student presenter or a recent (unemployed) PhD, please go here to learn more about financial support granted by the MGSA to graduate students or recent PhDs delivering papers in person at our symposia. This financial support will amount to approx. $300 but is contingent on timely pre-registration and the application for funds with documentation of status. The deadline for applications is May 1, 2015. Grants will be announced by May 15.
The MGSA invites donations for the October 2015 Symposium.
Our current sponsorship opportunities focus on our first priority, our graduate student travel fund.
• March 31: Program Committee decisions about individual abstracts and panels emailed to applicants.
• May 1: Deadline for Graduate Students and Recent PhD presenters whose abstracts have been accepted to apply for grant to defray the cost of participation Application details here.
— Program Committee decisions about Special Sessions announced.
• May 15: Grants for Graduate Student and Recent PhD presenters announced
• June 1: Deadline for presenters’ payment of MGSA 2015 membership and presenter registration: Presenters must be registered by this date for their names to be included in the MGSA 2015 Symposium Program.
• July 30: Symposium 2015 Preliminary Program posted online
• September 15: Symposium 2015 Registration fees rise
The archive of the 2013 Symposium including the program of papers given can be accessed here.