MGSA Symposium Financial support
Eligibility: Beneficiary groups
- Graduate students
- Recent unemployed PhDs (2019 to present) and Adjunct PhDs
- Junior faculty with minimal or no access to travel funds
- International scholars with no access to travel funds
All eligible candidates whose individual abstract or panel paper has been accepted and who will be attending the 2022 Symposium and will incur travel costs are eligible to apply for grants of up to $500 from the MGSA and its sponsors. Those from the host institution or from other universities in or near the host city who do not incur travel costs will be excluded.
- Graduate students; recent unemployed, underemployed and adjunct PhDs; and junior faculty with no access to travel funds should follow the link to http://mgsasymposium.org/grads.html to learn more about financial support granted by the MGSA to eligible candidates delivering papers in person in these categories..
Applicants are asked to submit the following documentation (in pdf scan and via email attachment) along with their request for a reimbursement:
- copy of most recent student ID card
- title of paper to be presented
- institutional and departmental affiliation and address
- a brief statement from the dissertation advisor on university letterhead confirming the graduate student status of the applicant, or his/her status as a recent but unemployed PhD.
Please compile all documentation in one pdf scan and direct all applications to MGSAsymposium@gmail by April 29, 2022. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
International scholars coming from outside Canada or north America and have either a part-time or full-time position at a university, archive, or research center, but have no access to institutional funds, may also apply for financial support. Grants aim to help offset costs for travel and accommodation at the symposium.
To apply, please provide the following to MGSAsymposium@gmail :
- Your name and institution of employment
- Budget to attend conference
- Amount contributed by your university, archive, or research center
- Additional comments or information for the committee to consider.
The deadline for application in all categories is April 29th, 2022.
Decisions will be available no later than May 15, 2022.
Final decisions about financial support are made at the discretion of the Fundraising and Publicity Chair, Graduate Studies Committee Chair, the Chair of the Local Arrangements Committee, and with the support of the Executive Director. Funds will be disbursed to presenters on site when they pick up their registration materials at the symposium. No funds will be disbursed prior to this date.
Inquiries and completed applications may be sent to MGSAsymposium@gmail.
Information for Presenters
If you are not already an MGSA member, please click here to become a member.
To register for the symposium, please follow this link .
Audiovisual needs, only if these exceed the standard computer and
screen projection equipment.
Note: standard equipment provided
includes projector, screen, Internet access, VGA cable, podium with microphone, sound,
and panelists table with at least one microphone. Participants bring their own
computer, connecting cords, and clicker. Please contact email@example.com only if you need more than any of the standard equipment items listed above.